Lip Augmentation in Port Everglades - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Plump, luscious lips are always in style. Sometimes, it takes just a bit of volume and curvature to achieve Kardashian-esque kissers.
Lip augmentation can enhance the shape, structure, and volume of your lips while reducing those age and weather caused vertical lines. The most popular methods of getting your lip curves to pop include dermal fillers, fat injections, and lip implants.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, over two million people got hyaluronic acid soft tissue fillers in 2017, and those numbers appear to be rising every year. To learn how you can get lush, alluring lips speak with a lip augmentation specialist today in Port Everglades - Fort Lauderdale, call (954) 248-3611 or contact Dr. Ferdinand Cabrera online.
Types of lip augmentation
When deciding which of the following lip augmentation methods to choose, it’s important to work with your healthcare provider who will help you chose a highly-skilled specialist.
Dermal filler injection
During this non-surgical procedure, dermal lip filler containing substances similar to hyaluronic acid (a naturally-occurring substance in the body) is injected into your lips to increase volume, smooth vertical lines and promote a softer, lusher, and more naturally-youthful appearance. Some of these fillers also contain lidocaine to reduce pain.
Each hyaluronic acid substance offers its own unique advantage:
- Juvéderm Ultra, Restylane Silk: add just enough volume to smooth lines without a noticeably dramatic effect; lasts about six months
- Juvéderm Ultra Plus, Restylane Regular: offers the most dramatic plumping effect; lasts about six months
- Juvéderm Volbella XC: this can plump your lips; results last for up to one year
- Volbella: smoothing and plumping with subtle and natural effects; lasts about two years
- Restylane Refyne, Restylane Defyne: creates a beautiful, natural look without dramatic over-plumping; lasts about 6-12 months
- Restylane L: adds moderate volume; results can last for up to 18 months
Studies show that hyaluronic acid dermal fillers have a low incidence of long-term side effects.1 The effects of dermal fillers are generally not permanent, and further treatments are required to maintain your lips’ appearance. Though rare, there is a risk of having an allergic reaction to the filler ingredients.
Autologous fat injections (also known as fat grafting) require removing fat from your body then injecting it into your lips. This procedure requires liposuction surgery to extract fat from a specific part of your body. The fat injection itself is non-surgical and involves no incisions to the lip area.
Other than your own fat, materials commonly available for injection include:
- Dermalogen: injectable Human Tissue Matrix (HTM) from donor tissue
- Fascia: injectable donor tissue made from dense white connective tissue that supports body structure
- HylaForm: this FDA approved gel is a sterile, clear, colorless dermal filler implant made of chemically modified hyaluronic acid derived from avian (bird) source
Several days of downtime are required to recover from a liposuction procedure. The results of your fat injections may last up to two years, though you may require additional treatment to achieve the look you desire.
Fat injections are most successful when applied to the face, where blood vessels abound, but are not a great option when addressing other age-related tissue changes.2
Lip implant surgery offers permanent lip enhancement. Made from soft silicone or various biodegradable, non-allergenic substances, lip implants are commonly chosen by patients who desire dramatic lip enhancement with minimal maintenance. These implants are not used to smooth vertical lip lines.
Common lip implants include:
- Gore-tex: made of synthetic polymer with micropores your tissue can grow through
- SoftForm: these synthetic implants are made from PTFE, a high-molecular-weight, hydrophobic (water doesn’t wet it) compound containing carbon and fluorine
- AlloDerm: made from donated skin, supports regeneration of aged tissue
To insert these permanent lip fillers, your cosmetic surgeon numbs your lip area with local anesthesia and makes tiny incisions hidden by the corners of your mouth. The implants are then inserted into these incisions. Further surgery is required to remove the implants.
How long do fillers last?
The effects of filler injections can last anywhere from 4-12 months. Your body will eventually metabolize the hyaluronic acid, and those wonderful volumizing effects will eventually fade away.
The exact amount of time injectable fillers last depends on the person, and the type of filler used. If your body is on the thinner side, you'll metabolize the formula faster and the injections won't last as long. Once you start down the path of lip augmentation you’ll need to “top up” those injections every few months to a year if you want to maintain that plump, pouty look.
If done correctly, lips with injections won’t feel any different than your pre-injection lips. Even when you’re kissing.
Benefits of lip augmentation
Lip augmentation is a minor procedure designed with your comfort, safety, and beauty in mind. Aging or medical conditions may rob your lips of volume or shapeliness. Aesthetic procedures can enhance your appearance as well as your self-confidence.
Transferred fat procedures are non-allergenic and create a very natural feel and appearance.2 Restylane Silk, Juvéderm Volbella XC, and Restylane L are approved by the FDA.
Benefits of dermal lip filler injections include:
- short treatment time of about 15-30 minutes
- precise results
- non-surgical and non-invasive; no hospital stays
- little to no downtime required
- mild or no side effects
- results are finalized within two weeks
Benefits of lip implants may include:
- the procedure takes 30 minutes or less
- short downtime: 1-3 days
- results may last for many years
- often causes no scaring
What are the potential side effects/risks of lip augmentation?
You may have read cosmetic horror stories with headlines like “Lip Fillers Gone Wrong.” While lip augmentation procedures generally cause few risks or complications, it is true that any medical procedure may lead to side effects or complications.
Some common side effects may include: temporary swelling, firmness, itching, or bruising in the lip or injection site that can last 30 days or less. For certain procedures, downtime may be required, and unwanted results may be very difficult to correct or reverse.
Rare side effects or complications of lip augmentation may include infection, facial scarring, bleeding, blood pockets (hematoma), nerve damage like numbness and tingling, or anesthesia complications like lung infection, stroke, or heart attack. Lip implantations also have a risk of migrating (moving).
As with any medical procedure, results of lip augmentation treatment will vary from patient to patient depending on age, genetics, general health, condition severity, follow-up care, and environmental factors. Consult your healthcare provider before embarking on your treatment journey.
Reserve your appointment
Modern lip augmentation procedures are generally very safe and present few side effects. To learn how to make your lips soft, plush, and irresistible without the costs and risks of outdated cosmetic surgery in Port Everglades - Fort Lauderdale, call (954) 248-3611 or contact Dr. Ferdinand Cabrera online.
1. Edwards, Paul. “Review of Long-Term Adverse Effects Associated with the Use of Chemically-Modified Animal and Nonanimal Source Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Fillers.” Clinical Interventions in Aging, Volume 2, 2008, pp. 509–519., doi:10.2147/cia.s382.
2. Kaminagakura, Estela, et al. “Undesirable Effect of Cosmetic Lip Augmentation with Autologous Fat Tissue.” BMC Research Notes, vol. 6, no. 1, 2013, p. 79., doi:10.1186/1756-0500-6-79.
Genesis Health Institute
Address1001 NE 26th St
Wilton Manors, FL 33305
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm