Spray Tanning Salon in Sarasota, FL
Spray tanning (also called self-tanning) is a process that applies a chemical onto the skin that turns brown and gives the appearance of a tan without exposure to the sun or tanning beds. Spray tanning may be applied with a wand and light mist of tanner (this is usually the best option for even coverage), frequently at a spa, tanning salon or other aesthetic treatment center.
If you would like to find out more about spray tanning, contact RevitaLife Vitality Center of Sarasota online or call (941) 200-1021.
How Does Spray Tanning Work?
To spray tan, a chemical known as dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is lightly sprayed over the body. This spray interacts with proteins in the skin’s top layers and turns brown—giving you that golden tan appearance. Because spray tanning only affects the top most layers of skin, your tan will last about 3-7 days and then begin to peel away as your skin sheds old cells and replaces them with new ones.
Remember that there is no protection from the sun in a spray tan and you will still burn just as you would without the tan applied.
Spray tanning is typically administered one of two ways:
- By hand, typically using a special tool to administer the tanning agent quickly and safely.
- Automatically, in a spray tanning booth; this device administers the tanning agent over the entire body in one or two bursts.
During an automatic spray tan, the machine will typically instruct you how to stand and then use automated nozzles to spray tanning mist across your body.
Is Spray Tanning Safe?
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), spray tanning is mostly safe. The chemical used to make your skin brown (DHA) has been approved for use as a self-tanner, but the FDA still recommends that you don’t breathe in the tanning mist and protect your eyes and nose from it. If you are worried about breathing in DHA, you can always use a cream or lotion to avoid that risk.
If you do decide to spray tan, make sure to wear a nose clip and cover your face if you can.
Spray Tanning Treatment
You can take a few steps to make your spray tan looks its best and last longer. Here’s how:
- Before tanning, exfoliate your skin from head to toe, or in the area to be sprayed. Concentrate on rough patches, knees, elbows, hands, feet and hairline. You can exfoliate with a special cream or wash made for the job or just a good scrubbing with a washcloth works too.
- Shave or wax before you tan.
- Remove any moisturizers, makeup or deodorant before you tan so the spray sticks to your skin evenly.
- Before tanning, consider wiping a little bit of moisturizer over your knees, elbows and knuckles. You don’t want to apply lotion all over, but a little in the areas where your skin is thicker can help prevent these places from getting too dark or splotchy. You can even wipe them down lightly after your spray tanning session if you would like.
- Keep the tanning spray on overnight and then wash the next day. Allowing the spray to sit a few hours helps it fully bind with your skin for the best color and less chance of streaking.
Is spray tanning right for you? Call (941) 200-1021 or contact RevitaLife Vitality Center of Sarasota online for more information.
RevitaLife Vitality Center of Sarasota
Address600 North Cattlemen Road
Sarasota, FL 34232
By Appointment Only
Tue: By Appointment Only
Wed: By Appointment Only
Thu: By Appointment Only
Fri: By Appointment Only