Varicose and Spider Vein Treatment in Johnson City, TN
Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical procedure for treating varicose or spider veins. The process is simple and effective. Your doctor will inject a special solution into the vein you want to remove. The substance then goes to work irritating the lining of the targeted blood vessel, making it collapse and turn into scar tissue which will fade over time. Your body will then reroute blood flow into a healthier vein through its own natural processes.
- Small veins may take about three to six weeks to fade; larger veins generally take three to four months.
- The overall success rate of sclerotherapy is 50 to 80 percent although, in some cases, multiple visits may be necessary.
As part of the treatment process, your provider will likely meet with you to go over your medical history in order to determine if sclerotherapy is the right solution for you. Some of the things your doctor may discuss include:
- Any recent or existing medical conditions you may have, especially those related to your heart
- Medications you may be taking including over the counter drugs and herbal or dietary supplements
- Known allergies
- If you've ever had a blood clot in the past
- Whether or not you're pregnant
- Whether or not you're a smoker
On Treatment Day
On the day of your sclerotherapy, it is advised to come into the office wearing loose fitting clothing. Your doctor may also suggest not wearing any skin care products such as lotion.
During the treatment, your doctor will inject a solution into the vein being eliminated with an ultra-thin needle. No anesthesia is needed as the only pain involved may be a slight cramping that lasts for a minute or two. Multiple injections may be performed if more than one vein is undergoing treatment. The entire procedure is usually done in less than an hour.
After Your Visit
- You should avoid any strenuous activities such as aerobic exercise for a couple of days after your treatment.
- You should avoid hot baths, hot compresses, or direct sunlight for a few days, although it is okay to take showers provided they are not too warm.
- Your doctor will advise you on what type of compression hosiery you should wear on the area that was treated.
- You may notice some itching, raised red areas, or bruising. These are normal, and will disappear within a few days or weeks.
- It is also normal for brown spots or tiny blood vessels to appear during the healing process, but they too will fade over time.
AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center
Address1604 Lamons Lane
Johnson City, TN 37604
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm